Entering the doors of the Van Loon Museum means entering into another epoch. Situated on the Keizersgracht, the canal house was the residence of one of the most famous pupils of Rembrandt, Ferdinand Bol, back in 1672. Years later the family Van Loon moved there. The house was transformed into a museum in 1974. The Van Loon was a wealthy family, whose history's intertwined with the city of Amsterdam: some of the members were city mayors, some others fulfilled decisive functions in the Dutch East-India Company. Thora van Loon, the last resident, was Dame du Palais at the court of Queen Wilhelmina. The house is decorated with unequivocal taste. Silverware, paintings, rich tapestries, Luis XV furniture, a beautiful garden in the rear all witness to an epoch of opulence, characteristic of the rich Hollanders of a bygone era.